Here are some facts so you can spruce up what you know about the second amendment:
- There has been some controversy over whether or not individuals should have the right to bear arms even if they are not in service to the nation (i.e. in the army), but, in 2001, the federal court ruled that individuals can indeed “privately possess” their own firearms.
- James Madison was the primary author of the Bill of Rights and was known as the “Father of the Constitution” because of his extensive work in creating it and writing papers to encourage its ratification.
- The Bill of Rights was drafted in 1789
- The Second Amendment was largely included originally because there was no trained army and the nation depended on the aptitude of its citizens when the time for war came.
- John Adams began the establishment of a trained militia when he created the professional navy.
Our country is governed by a document that is over two hundred years old, and still it functions. And, thanks to the Bill of Rights, we are able to maintain our ways of life. As responsible citizens, we should know important facts about the Constitution and its amendments.
For all those who exercise the right to bear arms, be sure that you are taking proper care of your firearms by storing them in a secured gun safe. Have any questions or looking for the reliable safe to protect your family? Contact GunVault today!