The days of burying your guns are over my friends, hiding your firearms off-site is useless if there is an emergency and downgrades the quality of your gun. In this day and age there are ways to store your guns that keep you and your family safe while maintaining the integrity of your firearms. When it comes to proper storage the most important things is preparation and where you store it. There are three main reasons proper long term gun storage is important:
1. Protecting family, keeping guns stored securely so children cannot access them.
2. Protecting guns, keeping them nice.
3. Keeping them secure from thieves but available in case of break-ins.
1. Break Down Your Gun as much as you can.
2. Keep Gun Decocked this relieves tension in the springs and other parts of the gun.
3. Remove All Fingerprints from the gun. Residue left behind can affect the quality of the gun over time.
4. Clean Your Gun Completely. Copper, lead and plastic will all attract moisture so cleaning your gun with an ammonia-free cleaner will help keep it dry.
5. Thoroughly Clean Out The Bore of your gun and then apply a very thin layer of lubrication. Also apply a thin layer to other exposed metal on the gun. This creates a thin coating that protects and seals the surface while in storage.
6. Treat Wood Stocks With Wax to prevent any swelling or cracking from occurring. Don’t forget to wax the inside of the stock, it’s all important!
**Continue to check your stored firearms periodically, especially if living in a humid climate. Be sure to re-oil if necessary.
The first thing you need to do is make sure that you have a safe and reliable storage area. A Gun Vault is a great storage option that will protect and secure your firearms. Here are storage tips to avoid and actions to take.
1. Gun Safe this is the most secure option for storing your guns while keeping them readily accessible. Protected interior keeps your firearm from rust, dirt, and moisture if stored properly. Safe can be opened by key, code, or fingerprints.
2. Use a Silicon-Treated Gun Sock the silicon protects your firearm from rust and moisture getting in while the thick fabric protects against any scratches and dirt.
3. Gun Storage Bags protect your gun from rust, dust and corrosion for years.
4. Use Desiccant or a Dehumidifier inside of the gun storage location to prevent moisture from rusting and cracking your guns.
5. Store your long guns barrel down so no oil can seep into the stock or other parts of the gun.
1. Sheep-Skin Lined Cases these attract moisture which can cause the rusting process to begin within 24 hours. Not only does moisture create rust but with too much exposure it can cause your stock to crack.
2. Gun’s Original Box or any cardboard box, these become very weak over time and alert anyone and everyone of what is being stored. Similar to the sheep-skin these also attract moisture and threaten the longevity and quality of your gun.
If you’re ready to switch to a safe, more secure, and easily accessible method of gun storage consider a Gun Vault safe today.
Call Today (800) 242-1055 or contact Gun Vault online.